Wednesday, 12 Aug, 2020
3:00 pm – 3:45 pm Does the Non-renewal of Fixed Term Employment Contracts Amount to Unfair Dismissal?
About this talk
It is common for businesses to hire employees on a fixed term contract, on the assumption that the renewal of the fixed term contract is at the option of the employer. However, this may not be the case as the court may decide that a fixed-term contract is in substance a permanent employment contract, the non-renewal of which may amount to unfair dismissal. Join us for this online talk, in which our speaker will discuss the legal principles on fixed-term contracts. The talk will be delivered over video conference using Zoom.us. You can either view the talk from your web browser or download the Zoom app.
- General principles on fixed term employment contracts
- In what circumstances will a fixed term contract be considered a permanent employment contract?
- Can foreign employees be employed on a permanent basis?
- Federal Court decision in Ahmad Zahri Mirza Abdul Hamid v Aims Cyberjaya Sdn Bhd
- John Chan, Senior Associate, Dispute Resolution Practice Group