A mistake by the doctor or health care professional could mean life or death. Where a mistake has had a serious impact on health and life, the patient has the right to compensation and the doctor can face disciplinary action. Injured patients can file a complaint to the Malaysian Medical Council. Where the Disciplinary Panel, Disciplinary Board and/or the Malaysian Medical Council is satisfied that disciplinary action against a medical practitioner is necessary for the protection of the members of the public, the the Disciplinary Panel, Disciplinary Board and/or the Malaysian Medical Council may order, inter alia, the following: reprimand the medical practitioner, impose a fine, order such medical practitioner’s registration to be subjected to conditions, order the name of such medical practitioner to be suspended from or struck off the Malaysian Medical Register.
We advise and assist complainants and medical practitioners in pursuing and responding to complaints to the Malaysian Medical Council.
Our services and support include, but is not limited to the following:
- Reviewing the related agreements between parties and identifying the laws and regulations applicable to the clients’ treatment including relevant professional rules, codes and policies.
- Advising clients on the reliefs available for different types of claims of professional malpractice.
- Advising clients on the procedures involved during the disciplinary hearing before the Disciplinary Panel, Disciplinary Board and/or the Malaysian Medical Council.
- Negotiating and drafting an amicable settlement between parties, if possible.
- Drafting the complaint form and compiling supporting documents to be filed to the Disciplinary Panel, Disciplinary Board and/or the Malaysian Medical Council.
- Representing doctors and complainants before the Disciplinary Panel, Disciplinary Board and/or the Malaysian Medical Council.
- Liaising with experts to obtain further advice on the relevant issues involved in the dispute between parties. Preparing for experts to be called to Hearings and to give evidence before the Disciplinary Committee.
- Advised and represented patients in claims against doctors and the hospital for negligence during surgeries.
- Negotiated on behalf of the patients and obtained compensation for the doctors breach of duty.
- Represented patients in disciplinary hearings against medical practitioners at the Malaysian Medical Council.
Related Articles and Updates