In conjunction with its 2nd annual conference, the League of Lawyers met in Bangkok, Thailand from 3 to 6 October 2014 to also convene its first Annual General Meeting.
A review of 2013/2014 showed exciting progress:
- The League expanded its network with the inclusion of 5 new partners. We now service the following jurisdictions:
- United Kingdom – JPC Law
- Thailand – JNP Legal
- Singapore – Derrick Wong & Lim BC LLP
- Philippines – Tarriela Tagao Ona & Associates
- Malaysia – MahWengKwai & Associates
- Japan – Koga & Partners
- Israel – Insall, Milow & Co
- India – Astra Law Offices
- Hong Kong – Yap & Lam
- Germany & Poland – von Zanthier & Schulz
- Australia – Ferguson Cannon Lawyers
- Interesting international law cases the League was involved in included:
- Due diligence work in Australia and Japan on behalf of a Malaysian private equity and venture capital firm in relation to an equity divestment exercise.
- Research and inquiries in Poland on behalf of a Malaysian client who was keen in purchasing a 1st division football club in the said jurisdiction.
- Assets search and investigation in Australia, Germany and Hong Kong on behalf of a Malaysian executor in the administration of the deceased’s estate.
- International research of case law and precedents in Commonwealth countries relating to the CIPAA act to assist our Malaysian client in an adjudication dispute.
(L-R): Ms Lum Ying Mei (MahWengKwai & Associates, Malaysia), Mr Manoj Chhabra (Astra Law, India), Mr Raymond Mah (MahWengKwai & Associates, Malaysia), Mr Stephen Yap (Yap & Lam, Hong Kong PRC), Mr Niten Chauhan (JPC Law, United Kingdom), Mr Lim Jo Yan (MahWengKwai & Associates, Malaysia), Mr Shay Milow & Mr Yaniv Insall (Insall, Milow & Co, Israel) and Mr Henning von Zanthier (von Zanthier & Schulz, Germany)
MWKA’s own Ms Lum Ying Mei and Ms Nora Jawi organised and hosted the conference in beautiful Bangkok which saw exciting proposed activities to be planned for 2015 and new board members elected to helm the League’s direction for 2014/2016 during the AGM. They are as follows:
(L-R): Mr Manoj Chhabra (Secretary), Mr Niten Chauhan (Treasurer), Mr Lim Jo Yan (Vice President) and Mr Henning von Zanthier (President)
The new board members are pleased to be spearheading the implementation of value-adding initiatives for our clients who have international business interests. The League hopes to assist our clients with:
- Quicker response time
- Alleviating difficulty in communicating with international lawyers across multiple jurisdictions
- Sourcing potential property and / or businesses for acquisitions internationally
- Obtaining reasonably priced fee quotations for legal services
- A breadth of global knowledge from a local perspective
- International cooperation in legal cases involving our member firms in their specialised areas of practice including:
- Arbitration of construction disputes
- Corporate and commercial transactions
- Foreign direct investments
- Insolvency and restructuring
- Leasehold enfranchisement
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Probate and administrative of estates
- Renewable energy
- Residential and commercial conveyancing
The League also met with potential new member firms from other jurisdictions: New Zealand, Sri Lanka and Thailand, to introduce our objectives, vision and values. Networking sessions which included a cocktail session to meet- and-greet local Thai firms located in Bangkok was successfully organised at the Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok where after the League was eventually happy to confirm its eleventh member in JNP Legal as the representative of its Thailand jurisdiction.
Cocktails at the Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok. JNP Legal (Thailand) is represented by its Managing Partner, Ms Nippita Pukdeetanakul (fifth from left)
The League’s 2nd Annual Conference has bolstered the relationships and friendships between the member firms and invigorated enthusiasm for the coming year as we look forward to providing more value to our clients.